Home/Tennis
feature-image

via Imago

feature-image

via Imago

Elena Rybakina is not playing around. The 2022 Wimbledon champion may not have had the most stellar year so far, but she’s coming back with newfound fire at the US Open. Taking down Emma Raducanu to reach the round of 16, the Kazakh hasn’t dropped a set yet! But there’s a shift in her team that’s left some raising their eyebrows. She brought Stefano Vukov back after the end of his coaching ban by the WTA. While the decision sparked questions, she’s not mincing words.

After beating Raducanu on Friday, the 26-year-old opened up at the post-match press conference. “This year, I tried with a new coach. Didn’t work out in the beginning, so the results were not the same as previous years. But for now, I think we are managing and getting closer to where I want to be,” she said, referring to her two coaching changes with Ivan Ivanisevic and Davide Sanguinetti this year. “And things different in the box right now definitely help a lot, and I think it’s important when the whole team can support me.”

This week Stefano Vukov was spotted in her box, and a reporter couldn’t resist asking, “Do you feel healthier and better in your mind having him on your team?” She didn’t hold back: “Well, I never had issues with him, so for me it’s just nice to see him in the box, and we always had good communication, and we never had issues, so.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

AD

But why is Vukov under scrutiny right now? Last year, they abruptly split before the 2024 US Open amid reports of Vukov’s mental abuse—shouting and relentless pressure—including the jaw-dropping claim he told Rybakina she’d “still be in Russia picking potatoes” without him. The WTA acted fast, suspending Vukov provisionally in January and issuing a no-contact order during their investigation. By February, the probe ended, the ban was firm, and the situation looked serious.

However, on August 8, the WTA announced his ban was lifted, and he was free to coach on the WTA circuit again. Given the circumstances of the ban, it’s left quite a few questioning why Elena would bring him back. Fans certainly weren’t pleased to see him in her box, but the Kazakh has remained firm on her stance to support him.

Elena Rybakina’s support to Stefano Vukov despite controversy

Their partnership, marked by Vukov’s notorious coaching style and that Miami Open feud, brought plenty of drama. After rumors swirled and she briefly paired up with Goran Ivanisevic, Rybakina made waves in January by announcing, “I am excited to announce that Stefano will be joining the team for the 2025 season.” But the drama didn’t end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Vukov soon found himself provisionally suspended by the WTA for a possible code of conduct violation. “Elena Rybakina’s former coach, Stefano Vukov, is currently suspended by the WTA. A spokesperson for the WTA confirmed this: ‘The WTA can confirm that Stefano Vukov is currently under a provisional suspension pending an independent investigation into a potential breach of the WTA Code of Conduct,’” tweeted Tennis Letter in January.

What’s your perspective on:

Is Rybakina's decision to bring back Vukov a masterstroke or a potential disaster waiting?

Have an interesting take?

Despite fresh controversy, Rybakina stayed loyal. “He’s an important person in my career. We started when I was like 200 (in the world). So it’s a lot of things, on the court, outside of the court, he’s helping out with,” she said, even as she prepared for the Abu Dhabi Open. With Ivanisevic out and Davide Sanguinetti joining her corner, Rybakina found ways to adapt. But her support for Vukov didn’t waver: “I feel like of course it’s not ideal that he cannot be on the practice courts but at the same time we are finding a way also with help of Davide, his opinion,” she noted.

This month, the WTA dropped a statement in The Athletic, doubling down on their code of conduct: “Any sanctions issued following a breach of these safeguarding rules are carefully considered and are subject to appeal before an independent tribunal… While case details remain confidential, we can confirm that Mr. Vukov is eligible to receive credentials at WTA events. We will not be commenting further.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

We may never get the full story behind Vukov’s suspension, but Rybakina isn’t letting off-court chaos shake her focus. Set for a round of 16 clash with Marketa Vondrousova, she looks locked in for a major run at the US Open. Could this be her year? Dive into the conversation below and catch all the latest action on our Live Blog!

ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rybakina's decision to bring back Vukov a masterstroke or a potential disaster waiting?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT