The debate regarding transgender athletes’ participation in the WNBA continues with another development. Now, supporters and opponents of this controversial issue are using odd methods to get their message across. In a recent WNBA game, two men were seen dressed as women and allegedly, while looking at the camera, said that they identify as women and were declaring themselves for the 2027 WNBA draft.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
In a video posted to X by Brickcenter, the arena security can be seen struggling to maintain a straight face as the two men make their way up the arena stairs, talking loudly as they move across the fans.
Days earlier, arena security at the August 17 Atlanta Dream-Indiana Fever game asked fans to cover up their shirts that allegedly related to the debate over the transgender athlete.
However, the WNBA later issued a statement on stadium security behavior following the interaction going viral on social media.
“The WNBA is aware of interactions at (Sunday) night’s game in Atlanta in which fans were asked by league security to cover their shirts,” the league statement said, per ESPN.
“This should not have happened.”
A general trend is being observed across the league. The games involving the Indiana Fever and Sophie Cunningham have people from both sides on this issue displaying their messages through shirts and other means. Fever games have also previously seen rallies outside arenas, again with supporters and opponents of the issue turning up in large numbers.
The gesture by the two fans comes shortly after the controversy surrounding former NBA players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White. Citing current WNBA eligibility criteria, Freedom and White too declared themselves eligible for the 2027 WNBA draft. The move has generated huge debate around the player eligibility criteria in the league.
The WNBA’s eligibility rules are determined by the collective bargaining agreement, unlike the other major leagues. While the current Article XIII mentions that “only players who are women are eligible to play in the WNBA,” there is no clear demarcation or clarification around gender or sex assigned at birth. And this leaves room for interpretation.
While a recent meeting between all presidents, GMs, and the league did discuss this issue. The outcome was a statement by the league that said they don’t see a need for any rule change yet, per ESPN.
“There are no immediate eligibility matters affecting the WNBA, and we strongly denounce the bad-faith efforts to use these topics to demean or marginalize others.”
This did nothing to settle this controversial debate. What started with Sophie Cunningham’s comments in an ESPN interview has now snowballed into a league-wide debate, deeply dividing the basketball community.

