Following UFC Seattle, all eyes were on Dana White, not for the night’s results, but for his clarification on a manager’s bold claim and his update on the sport’s most anticipated comeback. Speaking at the post-fight press conference, the UFC CEO provided insight into the return timelines for Islam Makhachev and Conor McGregor, offering a tentative look at what could be next for the two.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Not long ago, Makhachev’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz, claimed that his fighter had been offered a fight and had agreed to return to the Octagon in July. However, Dana White clarified the claims, revealing on social media that the fight is not set for July; instead, the UFC is targeting an August date for Makhachev. He doubled down on his stance during the presser.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Well, Ali was out there talking, saying July,” White said. “And it’s August that we’re looking at.”

Dana White had previously revealed that Islam Makhachev had suffered a hand injury in camp, so he couldn’t be considered for the June 14 UFC Freedom 250 card. As for who Makhachev will be fighting, Abdelaziz has already claimed that No. 2-ranked welterweight Ian Machado Garry is not the man.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

While that doesn’t make it true, as Dana White demonstrated, other potential opponents for Makhachev include Michael Morales and Kamaru Usman. Coming to Conor McGregor, the reporter pressed White on whether Conor McGregor is fighting in July.

“Possibly,” White told the reporter. “Nothing’s done. Nothing’s even remotely close to being done.

ADVERTISEMENT

‘The Mac’ had been advocating for a spot on the UFC White House card, but he was ultimately snubbed. Despite that, the Irish star has maintained that his return to the Octagon is inevitable. However, some people aren’t convinced that Conor McGregor will actually fight because he has been teasing a comeback for years. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am [optimistic about Conor fighting again],” said Dana White. “I was pretty optimistic at the end of last year. So, end of last year, going into this year, I’m still confident.”

The good thing is that McGregor is in the testing pool, and the latest update reveals he is the most tested athlete in the UFC right now. Not to forget, his 18-month retroactive suspension, stemming from three missed drug tests in 2024, ended this month. This officially allows him to compete in the UFC. 

ADVERTISEMENT

While Makhachev’s return timeline is being debated, potential challenger Ian Machado Garry is already firing shots and questioning the champion’s injury claim.

Ian Machado Garry questions the hand injury claim about Islam Makhachev

Since White revealed Makhachev’s hand injury, the delay in Makhachev’s return, which is now confirmed to be in August, is being blamed on the Dagestani himself. Meanwhile, the skepticism intensified after Makhachev shared a training clip hitting a heavy bag, suggesting he may not be as sidelined as claimed. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Reacting to the footage, Ian Machado Garry raised further questions. 

“WTF… Hand injury or time wasting?” he posted a poll on his Instagram story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Makhachev hasn’t fought since his win over Jack Della Maddalena at UFC 322 in November last year, where he made his welterweight debut and became a two-division champion. Before the Freedom 250 card was revealed at UFC 326, people also speculated that Makhachev would face Ilia Topuria, but his hand injury put him out of that contention. 

While the UFC is targeting an August return for Islam Makhachev and a possible July fight for Conor McGregor, White made it clear that nothing is set in stone for either fighter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,771 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT