feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

The first Grand Slam of the year is fast approaching, with the Australian Open set to begin on January 18. As excitement builds, concerns still linger over Melbourne in the wake of last year’s Bondi Beach attack. But with the tournament just days away, authorities have reached a solid resolution to address those issues.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

As per the tweet by The First Serve on January 10: “Australian Open cracks down on security as specialist police will have semi-automatic rifles at Melbourne Park.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Victoria Police has announced that heavily armed officers will be deployed at the AO. Specialist police carrying semi-automatic rifles will be present throughout the tournament. Such security measures have become common at major public events following the Bondi ter*or attack.

These officers were previously deployed across Sydney on New Year’s Eve. Similar measures were also in place in Melbourne during the Boxing Day cricket match between Australia and England. Authorities later described the Boxing Day security operation as a success.

Get the Break Point Newsletter. Daily tennis news spanning the WTA, ATP, and Grand Slams — from on-court action to off-court storylines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Following that assessment, Victoria Police confirmed the same approach will be used for the AO. The tournament is expected to attract more than 1.1 million fans to Melbourne Park between January 18 and February 1. Police believe heightened security is necessary to manage crowds safely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nationals leader David Littleproud supported the decision. “Look, it is a sad sign of the times that we have now reached a point where police need long arm weapons,” he told Nine’s Weekend Today.

He also explained that standard sidearms have a limited range compared to rifles.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The reason is that side-arms have about a 15m effective accuracy range, so these longer weapons keep police safer and also allow them to respond more quickly,” he said. “I think it is a precautionary measure, and it is the right one to take, but it is sad that our society has reached this point.”

Littleproud pointed directly to the Bondi attack to explain “why (these) precautions are necessary.” Authorities believe visible policing can also act as a deterrent. The aim is to ensure public safety without disrupting the fan experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley also echoed that stance: “There’s a zero-tolerance approach to anyone who comes onsite with the aim of creating a disturbance or disruption. If anyone is onsite with an intent to disrupt the enjoyment of the fans, they will be removed.”

The heightened concern stems from last month’s tragedy at Bondi Beach. On the first night of Hanukkah, a Jewish festival meant to be joyful, two gunmen, a father and son, opened fire on a crowd. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Fifteen innocent people were kil*ed. Authorities later found a nearby vehicle containing explosive devices, according to CNN. The attack shocked the nation, and players across the sporting world expressed grief and solidarity following the massacre.

Players express grief, solidarity, and support after devastating Bondi Beach tragedy

As tragedy struck Sydney last month, the tennis world paused in shock. Players on both tours reacted with grief and solidarity. The incident at Bondi Beach sent waves of sadness across the global sporting community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Amanda Anisimova shared a heartfelt message on IG. She wrote: “When will it end.. was one of the thoughts. But we’ve been thinking that for far too long. My prayers go out to all those affected.” She also added Australian and American flag emojis to her post.

Australian player Priscilla Hon expressed her pain online: “Bondi 💔🇦🇺 😭.” Australia’s WTA No. 2, Daria Kasatkina, also reacted, posting a heartbreak emoji alongside the Australian flag.

Alex de Minaur shared a powerful message: “Heartbroken by the tragedy at Bondi. My thoughts are with the victims, their families, and everyone affected. Australia stands together,” which reflected the nation’s collective grief.

ADVERTISEMENT

Now, as the tournament that has given us several top moments begins on 18, security measures will be crucial. Ensuring safety has become central to the Australian Open and the year’s first Grand Slam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Supriyo Sarkar

2,130 Articles

Supriyo Sarkar is a Senior Tennis Correspondent on the US Sports desk at EssentiallySports, covering the ATP and WTA tours. His reporting runs from match analysis and player rivalries to what the sport's biggest names leave behind after they stop playing, including work on Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert. One of his pieces broke down a post-retirement interview in which Serena's former coach described a rare moment of lost self-belief. An English Literature graduate, Supriyo moved into sports writing from academic writing and content leadership. He follows soccer as closely as tennis, which shapes how he reads pressure and rivalry across sports rather than inside one of them.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Deepali Verma

ADVERTISEMENT