
Imago
December 21, 2025: Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield 6 walks the field before the NFL, American Football Herren, USA matchup against the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, NC. /CSM Charlotte United States – ZUMAc04_ 20251221_zma_c04_004 Copyright: xScottxKinserx

Imago
December 21, 2025: Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield 6 walks the field before the NFL, American Football Herren, USA matchup against the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, NC. /CSM Charlotte United States – ZUMAc04_ 20251221_zma_c04_004 Copyright: xScottxKinserx
Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield is not giving up in his bid to secure the bag. Though negotiations hit a dead end before training camp and left Mayfield disappointed, he has found a huge supporter in the form of Buccaneers icon Gerald McCoy to make his case.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
“Baker Reagan Mayfield, my brother. Some things were said today, and I know people are wondering…Baker said two things that I believe are wrong,” McCoy said in a video he posted on X.
“‘I think I’m a franchise quarterback. I’ve been told I’m a franchise quarterback.’ No, Baker. Don’t say you think. Say you are. Say you believe.”
“Don’t think. Let these people know the Bucs ain’t had no bunch of franchise quarterbacks. In fact, it’s hard to find a franchise quarterback in any franchise. Baker has earned it, right? He’s earned the right to be the guy he is. Baker Mayfield is a franchise quarterback, and he should be the Bucs’ long-term franchise quarterback.”
McCoy mended things with the Bucs in 2021 after there seemed to be a falling out over the lack of a farewell post when they released him in 2019 to free up cap space. That said, he has seen something in Mayfield.
His words seem to indicate that he would prefer the quarterback getting paid and remaining in Tampa, where he has shown good consistency for the better part of three seasons.
Mayfield has been consistent in Tampa Bay
After joining the Bucs on a one-year deal in 2023, Mayfield maintained the team’s playoff streak. His 9-8 season saw the franchise equal its longest playoff streak (1999-2002) and win the NFC South.
The franchise then rewarded Mayfield with a three-year $100 million deal, ahead of what became his career-best season in yards and touchdowns. Mayfield recorded 4,500 passing yards and scored 41 touchdowns, while landing 71.4% of his passes.
The Bucs made it to their franchise-first fifth straight postseason on the back of that, with Mayfield getting double-digit wins for the first time since 2020.
Despite regular-season success, the Bucs tasted disappointment in the postseason. 2025, though, saw their campaign end in Week 18. This could be part of the reason the franchise remains hesitant in offering Mayfield what he wants.
When the Bucs played host to the Saints in Week 14, they had a 7-5 record. Four straight losses hurt them, with the games against the Falcons and the Panthers stinging the fanbase more.
Against the Falcons at Raymond James, the Bucs punted the ball at 4th and 14. Atlanta began their drive at their 30 and entered field goal range, with Zane Gonzalez making a game-winning kick through the uprights.
A week later in Charlotte, Mayfield’s costly interception with the Bucs down 23-20 with 0:42 remaining allowed the Panthers to take a knee and end the game on the next possession.
These games, sandwiched between setbacks at the Dolphins and against the Saints, saw Tampa Bay lose four straight and need to rely on results going their way to win the NFC South.
Mayfield is now coming back after a poor season. While the collapse may make it understandable why the franchise didn’t offer him a good number, the 31-year-old did show flashes of brilliance earlier in the season.
The Buccaneers quarterback led game-winning drives on the road at NRG Stadium and Lumen Field.
He will hope for more of that when the season gets underway to back his words. It can serve as an audition for Mayfield to have one of the league’s other teams decide he is worth that money.
Tampa Bay may make Mayfield an offer as well, but for now he remains on the deal that CBS Sports’ Jared Dublin noted is similar to what “bridge quarterbacks” are given, who are mostly in the $20 million to $30 million range.
He’s made no secret that he wants a long-term deal north of $50 million a year, but ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported the Bucs only put a two-year extension on the table, something Mayfield didn’t hide his disappointment over.
Mayfield is aiming to join 12 other quarterbacks among the current 32 starters to enter the $50 million club. In the last three seasons, nine of them have reached the playoffs at least twice. Dak Prescott and Trevor Lawrence have made it just once apiece, while Joe Burrow is the only exception with zero post-season appearances since 2023.
It seems as though only a stellar regular season run, or a deep playoff run, may see Mayfield get the bag in Tampa Bay.
“I really know what I’ve brought to this franchise leadership-wise and even play-wise,” Mayfield said at training camp. “It’s been some of the best years of my career, and I think it’s only gonna trend upwards.
“Just being comfortable and feeling that, so, disappointing in that regard to not, you know, feel disrespected a little bit, and that’s really the disappointing part to feel undervalued after thinking you’ve earned it.”
Mayfield can look to go again and earn it with some added motivation this season.
Written by
Edited by

Afreen Kabir
