feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

Toronto will have to wait even longer for Kawhi Leonard’s homecoming. What was initially expected to be a blockbuster trade has instead spiraled into a prolonged legal and administrative saga. The Clippers’ suspended deal, pending the NBA’s investigation, has evolved into a multi-year standoff that threatens to leave two franchises in limbo. The league’s probe into whether the LA Clippers improperly funneled money to Kawhi Leonard could stretch into 2027, potentially leaving his trade to the Raptors stuck in administrative purgatory.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

According to ESPN’s Baxter Holmes, the NBA’s nearly 10-month investigation into alleged salary-cap circumvention shows no signs of a quick resolution if the parties involved refuse to accept the league’s proposed findings or disciplinary measures. The latest timeline stands in contrast to comments made by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver earlier this month, when he said the league was aiming to conclude the investigation before the start of next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s take a look at how this case has progressed in the past few weeks:

On June 30, the Clippers and Raptors agreed to a franchise-altering trade that would send Leonard back to Toronto in exchange for Brandon Ingram, Gradey Dick, unprotected first-round picks in 2031 and 2033, a 2027 pick swap, and two second-round draft assets. However, nine days later, both organizations formally placed the transaction on hold after the NBA office informed Toronto that it would assume full financial and basketball liability for any punishment handed down to Leonard.

Get the Essentially Dunk Newsletter. League-wide coverage every day on the All-Stars, MVPs, iconic legends, and the drama defining the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the immediate aftermath of the agreement, Raptors president Masai Ujiri made it clear he believes Kawhi Leonard is mentally locked in.

“He is determined and seems in the right frame of mind,” Ujiri said. “You will be hearing from him shortly. I think there is a fire inside of him and we are all excited about that.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The 35-year-old is coming off the highest-scoring season of his career, averaging 27.9 points across 65 games. Which makes him a prime target.

By July 8-9, both the Raptors and Clippers publicly acknowledged the deal, but emphasized that it would remain pending until the NBA completes its ongoing investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The NBA league office informed us that as a result of the ongoing investigation involving the Clippers, we would assume the risk of any potential outcome of the investigation impacting Kawhi,” Toronto said in their statement.

The Clippers echoed that position, confirming their awareness of the investigation and noting that Toronto had been made aware of “the risk of penalties” tied to finalizing the trade.

ADVERTISEMENT

“On June 30, we reached an agreement in principle to trade Kawhi Leonard to the Toronto Raptors. We have since been informed that the trade can only be finalized if the Raptors’ ownership group assumes the risk of penalties related to Kawhi’s contract that could theoretically result from the ongoing investigation. The investigation is ongoing, and we expect the trade to be finalized following its conclusion.”

At this point, there was no clear sign yet that serious punishment was coming. Still, the uncertainty around Leonard’s contract, including the chance it could be canceled, is what’s delaying the deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We don’t have a specific timeline for the conclusion of the investigation but expect the firm to finalize its work in the coming weeks,” an NBA spokesperson told The Athletic.

League officials had already warned the Raptors before the agreement that the investigation might complicate any transaction involving Leonard, according to sources familiar with the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the ongoing nature of the probe. Once details of the trade became public on June 30, the situation forced the league office, and commissioner Adam Silver in particular, to address how to handle a rare and uncertain scenario.

Speaking during Las Vegas Summer League, he stressed that the league itself did not intervene to stop the trade, placing the decision squarely with the teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I mean, the league did not pause the trade,” Silver told reporters on July 14. “The parties to the trade made a decision not to go forward, given that the investigation remained open and any possible impact on Kawhi or his contract was yet to be known.

“And so they chose not to live with that uncertainty, but that was well known before the trade was proposed. I didn’t think there was any reason for people to believe that the status of Kawhi Leonard would change merely because he was traded. The investigation needs to run its course.”

By the final week of July, the outlook appeared less certain. Multiple reports suggested the investigation could extend significantly longer than initially expected, potentially stretching into 2027 if disagreements emerge over the findings or any disciplinary measures.

ADVERTISEMENT

The ESPN report by Baxter Holmes indicated the timeline could be pushed into 2027 if either the Clippers or the NBPA challenges the league’s conclusions or proposed penalties once the investigation wraps up.

That possibility reflects the NBPA’s clear intent to remain actively involved, particularly in safeguarding Leonard from outcomes that could affect his financial future, whether through suspension, the unlikely chance of a voided contract, or a potential extension with Toronto valued at up to $124 million.

Those penalties could include a lengthy player suspension or the total voiding of Kawhi Leonard’s contract.

Regardless of the investigation, both the Clippers and the Raptors have confirmed to ESPN that they still intend to complete the deal. It’s, however, looking difficult with an arbitration process looming around the corner.

The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) has insisted it will take the league to formal arbitration if the NBA seeks unearned penalties.

When asked whether there was anything the investigating law firm, Wachtell Lipton, uncovered, NBPA executive director David Kelly stated, “Not from anything I’ve seen.”

The union claims there’s no evidence of any punishable conduct regarding whether the Clippers compensated Leonard through a $28 million endorsement deal with the now-bankrupt green banking company Aspiration in 2022.

Legal battle threatens to prolong Kawhi Leonard-Clippers saga

Addressing reporters after the NBA Board of Governors meeting on July 14, NBA commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged the growing frustration surrounding the prolonged timeline and the NBPA’s caution.

“On one hand, we want to respect everyone’s rights here,” Silver explained regarding the complex probe. “And at the same time, we want to be able to answer to our teams and our fans… that this is comprehensive and that to the best of our ability, we’ve discerned what actually happened.”

Silver also expressed a desire to bring the matter to a close before the start of the 2026–27 campaign.

“It needs to be wrapped up before the beginning of next season,” Silver added. “There’s no question about that.”

Because salary cap circumvention constitutes a direct violation of the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, Silver cannot unilaterally enforce sanctions without risking a drawn-out arbitration process. Under CBA guidelines, if the Clippers and the NBPA reject the league’s findings, the case shifts to a jointly appointed neutral arbitrator with the authority to order discovery, production of compelling documents and summon reluctant witnesses.

Any subsequent ruling would then be subject to an appeals panel comprising three mutually agreed-upon representatives from the league and the NBPA. That multi-tiered legal process is precisely why sources close to the investigation warn the dispute could extend deep into 2027.

The stakes under the 2023 CBA could not be higher. If intentional circumvention is proven, potential penalties range from organizational fines up to $7.5 million and forfeited draft picks to a one-year suspension for team personnel and contract voidance for the player.

The Clippers have maintained their complete innocence since the inquiry began last September, following investigative reporting by podcaster Pablo Torre. The original probe centered on whether Clippers owner Steve Ballmer’s $60 million investment in Aspiration served as a back-channel mechanism to funnel $28 million to Leonard outside the salary cap.

However, the scope has expanded significantly. Reporting from The Athletic revealed that Wachtell Lipton investigators are now scrutinizing a second previously undisclosed endorsement deal involving Leonard, as well as team expenses provided by the Clippers that have not been reimbursed.

Despite the growing scrutiny, sources familiar with Adam Silver’s thinking say the commissioner has no intention of rushing to a decision simply to satisfy public pressure. Silver understands that penalizing the Clippers without compelling evidence could be seen as regulatory overreach, while failing to act on substantiated findings would inevitably invite accusations of a cover-up.

For both Toronto and Los Angeles, the prolonged investigation has created an unprecedented state of uncertainty. Although both front offices remain committed to completing the trade, neither franchise can confidently shape its roster while $170 million in player salaries and valuable draft assets remain tied up in limbo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Caroline John

3,856 Articles

Caroline John is a senior NBA writer at EssentiallySports, specializing in league comparables. She holds a master’s degree in Journalism and Communication and brings eight years of experience to the sports desk. Caroline made a mark in NBA media by covering the life of Shaquille O’Neal, which led to an exclusive interview with Josh Halpern, CEO of Shaq’s Big Chicken franchise. Her coverage was also personally highlighted by Shaq, who shared her article about his DJ Diesel persona and rapper GAWNE on Instagram. Drawn to the philanthropic work of LeBron James and Shaquille O’Neal, Caroline started following the NBA for its character both on and off the court, and has since become a respected voice covering many of the league’s biggest names. Her reporting stands out for accuracy, recognition from industry figures, and a strong connection with readers. Away from sports, Caroline is an avid reader, finding equal passion in books and storytelling.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Tanay Sahai

ADVERTISEMENT