Roger Penske went to the White House and, in July earlier this year and made a bold declaration. He wanted the Freedom 250 to be as big and grand as the Indy 500, which is a big ask, considering the latter is one of the crown jewels of world motorsports. But there was an air of confidence in his tone, something that may not have been possible without the President of the United States of America, Donald Trump.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
President Trump is arguably the biggest guest of honor at this spectacle in Washington DC this weekend as IndyCar drivers race 147 laps around iconic monuments like the National Mall, U.S. Capitol, the Washington Monument, and the Smithsonian. And in an interview with Fox Sports ahead of the race, Trump revealed just how badly Penske wanted this to happen.
“Roger told me they’ve been trying to do this for 20 years and he’d come down [to the White House],” he said. “I think he said he’s tried [to get it done] 211 times. And when he came to see Trump, it got done in about 15 minutes.”
Trump further admitted that the event turned out to be much bigger than they initially thought it would be. Roger Penske had initially stated that around 250,000 people had signed up for the Freedom 250 Grand Prix. But President Trump revealed that the number exceeded that. So much so that they had to take measures to prevent overcrowding.
“They actually closed the bridges,” Trump continued. “Because so many people wanted to come, I think 350,000, and they closed the bridges.”
Trump admittedly sped up the dream Penske had pursued for over two decades. He issued an executive order earlier this year to fast-track permitting and allow the use of federal lands for “The Captain.” And the fact that they got it done in just a few months has the 89-year-old feeling proud.
“I think there would be something that can’t be demonstrated anywhere else in the world, and to have it here in the United States and to think INDYCAR is a premier event here. It’s terrific,” Penkse said, per FOX Sports.
President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were aboard the Presidential Beast as it took a lap around the 1.7-mile circuit on Sunday before the race. As they reached the start-finish line, the government’s Air Force One aircraft flew overhead, adding to the spectacle of the special day.
A special weekend for President Trump, Roger Penske, and America
The Freedom 250 weekend kicked off on August 22, with eight motorsports legends taking part in two International Race of Champions races. Helio Castroneves, Kurt Busch, Bill Elliott, Rusty Wallace, Bobby Labonte, Tommy Kendall, Tony Kanaan, and Jeff Gordon all drove identical vintage Pontiac Firebirds.
It was four-time Cup Series champion Gordon who swept both races, reminding everyone that the NASCAR legend still had it.
“Just being out here, being a part of this special event, the fans are everywhere, celebrating 250 years of this great country. This is super special,” Gordon told FOX after winning.
Sunday’s outing began with the President and First Lady waving the green flag. For Penske, that marked the moment his dream of hosting a race in the capital city of the country he loves finally became a reality. He said the Freedom 250 Grand Prix will be remembered for years to come as a sporting event that celebrated America’s independence, its legacy, innovation, and excellence in motorsports.
For President Trump, it marks the second marquee sporting event hosted in Washington, D.C. this year. In June, UFC held a special event, UFC White House, on the South Lawn of the historic building, with Trump in attendance. The main event that night ended in a major upset with Justin Gaethje winning over Ilia Topuria by TKO to win the Lightweight Championship.
Now, it’s IndyCar’s turn, and those who wanted this event to take shape have President Trump to thank. As he noted, Roger Penske made multiple trips to the White House over the past 20 years. Yet the Penske Corporation chairman was unable to work out a deal with Presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, and, interestingly, even Donald Trump during his first term (2017–2021).
Thankfully for Roger, everything fell into place. Trump supported him, which was crucial because Penske did face a roadblock from Congress and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s office. Officials were concerned about large-scale traffic disruptions and potential violations of the city’s noise-limit guidelines.
However, Bowser and her office do not have jurisdiction over federal lands. That’s where Trump’s executive order helped clear the way. He wholeheartedly backed Roger Penske and wanted the Freedom 250 to go ahead at any cost. Bowser’s office ultimately went on to endorse the event.
The Freedom 250 showed what can happen when a long-standing idea finally gets the opportunity to become reality. Kyle Kirkwood took the checkered flag to win this inaugural edition of a very special race.

