feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

A year ago, Paul Skenes preferred to have more of a human element in baseball. He shared how pitchers think every throw is a strike, only to be overturned by ABS. However, last year, ABS was in Triple-A and had yet to be implemented in MLB. And now that the ABS challenge has been officially rolled out, Skenes seems to have a different opinion, despite having a bitter experience in February.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

“I wanna say last year I had more pitches in the zone get called balls against me than pitches that were balls get called strikes,” Skenes said via Pat McAfee Show. “So, now I’m all for it. I’ve totally flipped my stance on it. I’m all for it. It’s great,”

ADVERTISEMENT

Now, that is an entirely different stance from what Skenes had a year ago. “I really do like the human element of the game. I think this is one of those things that you kind of think umpires are great until they’re not. And so I could kind of care less, either way, to be honest,” he said last year.

So, it comes as a welcoming surprise as Skenes is now rallying behind ABS. But there’s a reason behind his changed stance.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

This year, ABS has already proved effective in identifying the wrong calls. For example, on Wednesday, Orioles catcher Samuel Basallo challenged the umpire’s ball call on Albaret Suarez’s pitch. The call was overturned to a strike, which led to a game-winning strikeout against the Rangers. Then, in a game between the Red Sox and the Reds, umpire CB Bucknor’s six calls got overturned by ABS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, not all calls are going for the pitcher, but Skenes already had the experience of how blown calls could feel.

Paul Skenes debuted in May 2024, and in his second career MLB start, he faced umpire Brian O’Nora against the Cubs. With Skenes’s velocity and sliders from the mound, the umpire clearly struggled and finished the game with a 84.8% accuracy. This low accuracy rate was the result of several poor decisions, including some close calls and obvious strikes that were ruled as balls. In that game, Skenes had to throw a few extra pitches due to these missed calls.

ADVERTISEMENT

So, Skenes is now all set to rally behind ABS, but his first experience with ABS didn’t go that well.

In February, during his first spring start, Skenes struck out four and walked four against the Braves. However, all four strikes were overturned to balls as the Braves challenged.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Today, that’s how it is. I’ve just got to adjust,” Skenes said back then. “I think it will even out over the course of the season, but ask me in June.”

Well, it’s just April, and Skenes seems all fine with ABS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Skenes bounces back after opening day disaster

It seems like Skenes has successfully adjusted to the ABS challenge system. In this second start of the season against the Reds, he allowed just 1 run with 5 SOs from 5 innings. That’s typical Skenes-like dominance at the mound.

Skenes started by walking Cincinnati’s TJ Friedl, then retired eight straight, including three strikeouts. And after Nathaniel Lowe had an RBI double off Skenes, it ended a record-breaking run of the right-hander.

ADVERTISEMENT

Before Lowe’s RBI, Skenes had a 31-inning scoreless streak against the Reds. That was the fourth-longest by a Pirates pitcher against an opponent since 1961.

So, fortunately, this time ABS didn’t come in his way.

Now, this performance was expected after how Paul Skenes faced disaster in his opening game. Due to Oneil Cruz’s consecutive defensive blunders, Skenes had his shortest outing in MLB, finishing with 0.2 innings.

ADVERTISEMENT

In that outing, he gave up five runs with just one SO. Even after recording a win in his second start, Skenes’ ERA currently stands at 9.53!

That opening stumble was rare for Skenes. Now that he is regaining his rhythm and adapting to the nuances of the ABS, expect to see his trademark dominance return to the mound.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sourav Kumar Ghatak

2,294 Articles

Sourav Kumar Ghatak is a multi-sport writer at EssentiallySports, covering soccer, boxing and wider US sports storylines. He writes match reporting, event build-ups and the reaction around the biggest names in each sport, with recent work on the 2026 FIFA World Cup and notable boxing events. Sourav spent his earlier years at EssentiallySports on the MLB desk, covering the league daily, including work on Aaron Judge and Shohei Ohtani. He holds a postgraduate degree in Marketing and worked as a freelance writer and project lead before moving into sports journalism full time.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Arunaditya Aima

ADVERTISEMENT