feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

The Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul fight is all the talk these days, but as it turns out for all the wrong reasons. After putting on a show during his second press conference in Texas, reports revealed the former world champion suffered a medical emergency during a flight from Miami to Los Angeles on Sunday. It was later revealed that the situation wasn’t as serious!

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Tyson’s representatives claimed in a statement that the 57-year-old became nauseous and dizzy because of an ulcer flare-up 30 minutes before landing in Los Angeles. Since then, Tyson himself has reassured everyone that he is doing well and the fight against Paul on July 20 at AT&T Stadium in Texas will go as planned. However, UFC veteran Michael Bisping isn’t buying any of it, as he branded the ‘ulcer flare-up’ as an “excuse” on his YouTube channel. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Bisping calls Tyson’s representatives liars

Speaking about the entire ordeal that has unfolded over the past few days, reignited the concerns among fans about Tyson’s age, or more accurately, the age gap between Tyson and Paul, ‘The Count’ said, “I’ve got no problem with Mike Tyson. He’s 58. I respect him. This is taking massive balls of him to go in there against Jake Paul, even though he’s by far the better boxer”.

Bisping explains Tyson is, of course, the better fighter between the duo because of ‘Iron’ Mike’s extensive experience and expertise in the sport. However, the statement from Tyson’s team doesn’t sit right with the UFC veteran, who described the ulcer flare up, saying, “That’s the excuse that they have given.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Getty

Turning to Tyson’s intentions to fight in spite of the health scare, Bisping thinks ‘Iron’ Mike wants to test himself in the ring and make some money doing what he is best known to do. However, the former UFC middleweight champion feels Tyson’s time is well past him because of his age. In other words, it’s too late for the former heavyweight champion to fight or even test himself. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t know about the statement. Of course, they’re going to say that he had an ulcer flare up. They’re not going to tell the truth,” Bisping said about the situation. Instead, the former UFC champion thinks, “I don’t think it was an ulcer, it’s just a guy getting old, getting [into] the senior years of his life.” While Bisping raised questions about the authenticity of the ulcer claim, another UFC veteran highlighted troubles for Jake Paul. 

ADVERTISEMENT

It would be hard to explain for Jake Paul

Since the fight was announced, there have been some changes in the rules and regulations, as the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations agreed to sanction the fight as a professional one. While the new rules had favored Tyson’s age, ex-UFC fighter Chael Sonnen thinks the revelation about Tyson’s health may put Jake Paul in a precarious spot. Why?

article-image

Getty

Well, it’s Jake Paul, in other words, his promotional company, who is promoting the fight, or selling the fight where a soon-to-be 58-year-old, who needed medical attention recently, is involved. So, Sonnen thinks if MVP continues to promote the fight by attempting to “downplay that issue, that is going to be your biggest problem.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With the new reports suggesting Tyson’s health scare was no big deal, the UFC world doesn’t seem convinced about its authenticity. Yet Mike Tyson seems adamant about getting in the ring on July 20, whether to prove he’s still got it or to increase his bank balance by a few more millions. Do you think ‘Iron’ Mike should be fighting? Let us know in the comment section below.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Arijit Saha

ADVERTISEMENT