feature-image
feature-image

Stepping into the boxing ring amidst the roar of thousands takes courage, but stepping in to face the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ demands a whole different level of bravery. And former Disney star Jake Paul, claims he has what it takes. However, that didn’t stop Mike Tyson from issuing a bone chilling warning to the influencer boxer before their fight on July 20.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

The fight, mostly looked at as experience vs. youth, is scheduled to unfold in AT&T Stadium at Arlington, Texas, home to the Dallas Cowboys. But! Before the unorthodox boxing match, sanctioned by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations, unfolds, Tyson and Paul appeared in an exclusive interview with Entertainment Tonight, where the former heavyweight champion described the upcoming fight with just one word. What’s that?

ADVERTISEMENT

‘The Problem Child’ brands Mike Tyson a bull and himself the Matador

Speaking to ET yesterday, Tyson reiterated the warning he gave to Jake Paul ahead of their fight, saying, I already gave him his warning—fight like your life depends on it because it does!” It’s worth mentioning that in Tyson’s prime, he was the most feared boxer inside and outside the ring. Even though ‘Iron’ Mike seems to have changed his ways, many believe the potential for brutality still exists within him.

article-image

Getty

However, all that doesn’t concern the YouTuber turned boxer, confident about making Tyson taste the canvas when they eventually clash. Paul said, “Well, well, well, yeah look, he’s the bull, I’m the Matador, and it’s that simple. Speed and timing beats power.” Meanwhile, when Tyson was asked about describing the fight in one word, he said something that would scare the bravest of souls—Tyson said, “Carnage.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

On the flip side, Jake revealed he doesn’t have any warning for the soon to be 58-year-old, since Paul thinks, “[Tyson] knows that I’m not scared of him or his antics.” However, during their press conference in Texas, a while back, ‘The Problem Child’ did have a warning for Tyson. 

Jake Paul issues a gutsy promise to his fans

As the fight date got closer, the duo appeared in their second heated press conference in Texas on May 17. Following a series of verbal jabs at each other, Paul boldly stated, “What I promise to the people is on 20 July, Mike will be put to sleep and he will feel my power and I will go down as the man who put Tyson to sleep for the last time.”

article-image

Getty

Sadly for Paul, however, that promise failed to intimidate the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet,’ who has taken down several formidable opponents throughout his storied career in the ring. In response, Tyson said, “He’s not going to win. He can’t even knock out Nate Diaz, who is like 40 pounds. How’s he going to knock me out?”

Despite this, however, many in the community have raised concerns about the sheer age difference between the two boxers, 31 to be exact. However, Mike Tyson has scoffed at the idea, suggesting age is just a number, at the end of the day, and his superior skills will get the job done when they enter the ring in July. 

It seems like brave statements have been issued from both sides, and now, it’s just a matter of time, after which fans will get to see who gets their hand raised and who will have to eat their words. What do you think? Who are you cheering for? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT