feature-image

Getty

feature-image

Getty

When two brilliant minds collide, the result, more often than not, is hazardous. Such is the case for legendary Mexican boxer Canelo Alvarez and his estranged promoter, Oscar De La Hoya. One would think that, being a former world champion working with a current world champion, things would run smoothly. However, that’s absolutely not the case for these two legends.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Even after separating in 2020, the differences between them still persist. It has gotten to the point where Canelo looked visibly uncomfortable sharing the stage with Oscar during the Jaime Munguia press conference. However, the question is: Why? Why does Canelo not want to work with Oscar De La Hoya? While appearing in an interview with Ariel Helwani today, Oscar shed more light upon it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar De La Hoya claims that, despite differences, the fight was easy to make

During the interview, Helwani probed Oscar about making the fight happen. In response, Oscar started, “I’m a co-promoter with Munguia, and Canelo didn’t want to deal with me…” When asked why that’s the case, Oscar explained, “I seriously think that he doesn’t like the attention taken away from him…”

article-image

USA Today via Reuters

Oscar emphasized that his achievements in the sport would inevitably draw attention to him. However, Oscar felt, “I don’t think he likes that. So, he doesn’t want me around.” Turning to how the fight was made, Oscar De La Hoya credited his co-promoter from Mexico for making the fight possible. 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

“So, my co-promoter from Mexico, who handles Munguia, dealt with [Canelo] under my guidance. He dealt with Canelo’s people, [so making] the fight was pretty easy,” said Oscar. Meanwhile, Canelo Alvarez spoke about their relationship recently. 

Canelo Alvarez wishes Oscar “all the best”

After being unable to find an opponent for himself, Canelo Alvarez had to settle with his Mexican counterpart, Jaime Munguia, meaning working with Oscar De La Hoya. So, while appearing in an interview with Fight Hub TV on April 12, the reporter asked Canelo whether the feud could ever turn into a friendship.

In response, the undisputed super middleweight champion expressed his real feelings about Oscar. He said, “No, I don’t; I’m not interested in [being friends] with him. I’m good where I am, and I have nothing to [do] with him. I wish all the best for him. But I don’t want him near me, close to me. I don’t want that kind of vibe [in] my life.”

Despite harboring resentment against each other, an opportunity to print money seems to have brought the estranged fighter and promoter duo together. However, from the things they have said about each other, it’s very unlikely that they will ever see eye to eye. Do you think Oscar and Canelo should have a bout? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT