feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

British boxer Conor Benn and WBA lightweight champion Gervonta Davis have been talking trash over the internet for quite some time. Previously, Benn’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, had even sent out a fight offer to Davis, but the Baltimore native refused the challenge. However, the fire to face off against Davis hasn’t died down for ‘The Destroyer.’

Watch What’s Trending Now!

The 28-year-old found himself without a British boxing license in 2022 when the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) revoked it after Benn failed two drug tests ahead of his scheduled fight against rival Chris Eubank Jr. However, things are starting to look up for the Brit, as the suspension was lifted last month.

ADVERTISEMENT

National Anti-Doping Panel was “not comfortably satisfied” with UKAD and the BBBofC had proved he had committed an anti-doping rule violation. Regardless, with his boxing license back in his hand, Benn appears ready for action. Speaking to Fight Hub TV recently, the Essex native ripped into Davis, describing their feud. 

“He’s just a mouthy little t**t,” Benn said. “He just wanted to pipe up and start talking. Pipe up and start talking then, you’re still four foot tall and still can’t get on a rollercoaster. I said, ‘Listen, you keep talking s**t. My promoter’s going to get back to you in 48 hours.” Benn further claimed that after they sent Davis an offer to fight, Al Haymon didn’t let Davis accept the challenge. 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Imago

“£15 million first offer, but he’s an idiot I don’t even think he knows what negotiating means,” Benn continued. Benn went as far as to offer Davis a fight at a catchweight of 143 pounds but claimed Davis wouldn’t accept it. “I would even do a catchweight at 143. He won’t take the fight. His career has been very well maneuvered,” Benn told Fight Hub TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

While Benn fails to secure a fight against Davis, he is growing tired of his other rival.

Looking past Gervonta Davis and Chris Eubank Jr., Conor Benn is ready for this champion

Earlier this year, Chris Eubank Jr. squared off against Kamil Szeremeta in Saudi Arabia. After Eubank was crowned the winner, Benn made his way into the ring to officially restart talks about their much-anticipated fight. However, it appears nothing has come out of it yet, and he is growing tired of a lack of action. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking to iFL TV a couple of days ago, the 28-year-old said, “For me, I’ve instructed the team to solely focus on making the Barrios fight.” Mario Barrios is the current interim WBC welterweight champion and is coming off a split-decision draw against Abel Ramos. Regardless, Benn added that making an offer to Eubank is an utter waste of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Imago

“We’re wasting our time with the offer (to Eubank). It was 50/50 or it was nothing. I can’t be bothered wasting no more time,” he said. “I just want to fight and Feb. 15 is the date that’s available for the WBC world title at the O2 Arena, so it’s a no-brainer to me. We just need to get that fight done and signed. Barrios’ team are ready, I know two offers have been sent in to Barrios and I think the offers are good offers.”

That said, it seems a potential matchup between Gervonta Davis and Conor Benn is off the table for now. In the meantime, Davis is gearing up for his highly anticipated bout against Lamont Roach on March 1st in Brooklyn. What’s your take on Benn’s recent comments about Davis?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT