feature-image
feature-image

In a sport where exciting matches aren’t hard to find, one fight has eluded boxing fans for a long time. Recently, in an interview, the light welterweight boxer Teofimo Lopez made a shocking claim about why he thinks a potential fight with Gervonta Davis wouldn’t happen. ‘The Takeover’ Lopez is coming off a unanimous decision victory against Josh Taylor that went down earlier this year.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

The win against Taylor helped him capture the WBO and Ring light welterweight title. However, the 19-1 fighter is currently grappling with the decision to retire from the sport or to get his hands on the elusive fight with ‘Tank.’ Unfortunately, Lopez doesn’t think the fight is on the cards for him, as evidenced by his statement during an interview with ProBox TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Teofimo Lopez claims there are pre-existing plans for Gervonta Davis

While talking to ProBox TV, Lopez suggested the fight with Davis won’t happen because his promoters won’t let the fight ever happen. “The reason why the Tank Davis fight won’t happen is obviously they have their mock-up plan on what they are gonna do with Gervonta,” said Lopez. Adding validity to his claim, Davis has long been criticized over his choice of opponents. 

Due to Tank’s ability to bring in the cash and attention to every fight he is involved in, Lopez claims Davis can pick and choose who he wants to fight. In addition, Lopez suggested that Davis isn’t choosing opponents on the same level as him. “He doesn’t have to go above the B level. He doesn’t have to go below the C level,” said Lopez.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Regis Prograis on a potential fight between Lopez and Davis

Previously, the talks of ‘Tank’ facing ‘The Takeover’ literally took over the internet. Everyone was talking about it, including Regis Prograis, who is scheduled to face Devin Haney on December 9. While appearing in an interview with ES News, Prograis picked his favorite between Lopez and Davis.

Also Read: “Devin and Shakur Yall Weaklings”: Fans Have a Field Day as Gervonta Davis Uses Unorthodox Training Method

During the interview, Regis revealed he would pick ‘Tank’ as the winner if the fight were to ever happen. “That’s a huge fight. I think I’ll go with ‘Tank’ on that one,” said Prograis. Justifying his choice between the two formidable boxers, Regis claimed that ‘The Takeover’ had lost to a southpaw boxer. “Because Teo has been put down by a southpaw before,” stated Prograis.

While talks of a potential fight with Davis excited fans, Teofimo Lopez revealed the reason why it’s unlikely to happen. Do you think the fight will happen sometime in the future? Do you agree with Lopez’s claim? 

Watch This Story: 5 Potential Opponents For Gervonta Davis

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT