feature-image

Getty

feature-image

Getty

Some things are never meant to be—the potential fight between interim WBC super welterweight champion Vergil Ortiz Jr. and IBF welterweight champion Jaron Ennis is one of them. Boxing Scene recently reported that both parties have reached a verbal agreement to compete for Ortiz’s interim title.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

The report also claimed that the fight was pegged for what was turning out to be a bombastic night of boxing in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on February 22nd next year. His Excellency Turki Alalshikh had especially taken interest in the bout, wanting to make the fight next, expressing the directive to the promoters involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

While Ortiz Jr. has always maintained his stance of fighting anybody, Ennis’s corner had always looked a bit iffy about the situation. Erik Gomez, Golden Boy Promotions president, had told Fight Freaks Unite recently that the coming weeks will reveal whether the fight would actually happen. And it appears, the time has come. 

article-image

Getty

According to a new report from respected boxing journalist Dan Rafael of Fight Freaks Unite, the potential fight between Ortiz Jr. and ‘Boots’ Ennis officially fell apart on Friday. This left the organizers of the event searching for a replacement for Ortiz Jr. Meanwhile, they also reported that the Saudis are now reaching out to another potential opponent.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Who is that? WBO and WBC super welterweight champion Sebastian Fundora. Apparently, the Saudis have reached out to his promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, to get an idea of the level of interest they might have in a fight against Ortiz Jr. Meanwhile, Ortiz’s manager has opened up the floodgates, putting the blame squarely on Ennis. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Mirigian goes scorched earth on Jaron Ennis after the Vergil Ortiz Jr. fight falls apart

Rick Mirigian, the manager of Vergil Ortiz Jr., didn’t hold back after the much-anticipated fight with Jaron Ennis collapsed. He promptly took to Instagram, blasting Ennis and his camp while accusing them of backtracking on their word. “@jaronennis, you said you wanted @vergilortiz at 154 about 22 times,” Mirigian wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT

He even roped in Ennis’ father, Bozy Ennis, who boldly said in an interview that it was Ortiz’s team who rejected a fight offer. “Your father said you guys made us an offer and we rejected it on video 2 weeks ago, which as we all know is not true, and someone had to lie to him,” Mirigian continued. He alleged that Ennis was scared of Ortiz because of what the knockout artist could do.

article-image

Getty

“It’s ok if you changed your mind and realized that @vergilortiz is too strong, too fast, too big, and too skilled now,” he added. It’s worth noting that Ortiz Jr. is coming off a difficult win over Serhii Bohachuk, where he got dropped for the first time. Meanwhile, Ennis is coming off the flattest performance of his career against Karen Chukhadzhian.

ADVERTISEMENT

That said, while Ortiz’s manager has put all the blame on Jaron Ennis, it’s unclear what exactly led to the failure of the promising bout. There hasn’t been an update on whether Sebastian Fundora has accepted the challenge, but the question is, why do you think the fight fell apart?

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT