feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

The Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul which was initially predicted to be an exhibition bout, has now been upgraded to a professional fight under the auspice of the Texas Boxing Commission. Amidst the growing anticipation, Roy Jones Jr. who thought he had “made a mistake” when he agreed to fight Tyson in an exhibition bout in November 2020, also came forth to provide his verdict on what the fight may look like come July 20.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

In a video shared by IBA – Boxing on social media today, Roy Jones Jr. revealed the only way ‘The Problem Child’ can win the fight. Jones Jr. said, “It’s very intriguing how it may turn out because Jake Paul has gotten a lot better as a boxer over the days.” However, ‘Captain Hook’ cautioned Paul about overlooking Tyson’s power because of his age. He claimed, “Mike Tyson, even at 57, 58, however old he is, he [is] still Mike Tyson. When I boxed him in [2020], he [was] still punching like Mike Tyson.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The former champion from Pensacola even seemed confident that if Tyson connected a clean shot to Paul’s chin, there was no way Paul would be able to withstand the sheer power behind Mike’s punch. Jones Jr. revealed the perfect game plan for ‘The Problem Child,’ and said, “If Jake stays away from him for four or five rounds, then Jake has a chance.” 

In 2020, Tyson stepped into the ring after 15 years, when he fought against Jones Jr. They fought to a draw with eight two-minute rounds. However, a few months before the fight, the 55-year-old boxer felt that he made a mistake in agreeing to fight Tyson. In an interview with Skysports, Jones Jr. said, “He’s still Mike Tyson. He’s still one of the strongest, most explosive people who ever touched a boxing ring. If anything, I made a mistake going in with him. He’s the bigger guy, he’s the explosive guy. He’s going to have all the first-round fireworks, not me.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

‘Captain Hook’ further added, “I do have first-round fireworks, but he’s known for more first-round fireworks than anybody to ever touch boxing, other than maybe George Foreman. With him having the first-round fireworks, he’ll be against a guy smaller than him, maybe 40-50 pounds smaller than him.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Similarly, now Jones highlighted that Paul would have to do a lot of maneuvering to follow this plan and win the fight. While Jones Jr. has approved of the fight despite the 30-plus-year age gap, concerns have arisen due to a doctor’s warning to Tyson. 

Mike Tyson is in danger if he fights Paul

After the fight was officially confirmed earlier this month, fans and pundits cautioned Tyson about the potential health concerns. This was escalated when an old clip of Tyson from 2022 surfaced online where he was spotted using a cane to walk. A statement from Stephen Hughes, Senior Lecturer in Medicine at Anglia Ruskin University, highlighted the concerning reality of the fight. “In older people, the brain tends to lose volume. This lengthens the bridging veins and makes them more vulnerable to rupture. Alcoholism is known to accelerate brain shrinkage, and it appears that Tyson has this as a past risk factor,” wrote Hughes.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Mike Tyson hasn’t been bothered by such reports. Instead, he took to X and shared a short clip of his training sessions along with a message to his opponent, “You still wanna f*** with me? #PaulTyson.”

ADVERTISEMENT

 Who do you think will win this most anticipated bout? Let us know in the comments below. 

Read More: Mike Tyson’s Purse for Jake Paul Boxing Bout Spilled by UFC Veteran Henry Cejudo

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Aazima Basharat

ADVERTISEMENT