feature-image
feature-image

The February 22nd mega card in Saudi Arabia just took a massive hit. What was supposed to be a night filled with seven title or ‘Interim’ title fights, now has one fight short. Why? According to the latest reports, rising star Floyd Schofield Jr. had to pull out of his fight against WBC lightweight champion Shakur Stevenson at the eleventh hour.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Though there were no hints something of this sort was about to happen, eyebrows were raised when Schofield Jr. was a no-show for the grand arrivals on Tuesday. If the news of ‘Kid Austin’s withdrawal wasn’t wild enough, it came hand-in-hand with allegations of poisoning. Schofield’s X account, widely believed to be run by his father, wrote in a now-deleted tweet, “They poisoned my son.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He also added that a masseuse associated with Shakur Stevenson’s team “wiped a cream on my son.” This was followed by a legal threat from Stevenson’s co-manager Josh Dubin, who told Boxing Scene, “This fighter [Schofield] should get advised on the defamation laws in our country. Saying these things that slander Shakur does not come without legal consequences.” 

“Saying that his food was poisoned will not go unrecognized. [Schofield] is being put on notice right now,” he added. “People might think there’s a kernel of truth in these lies [regarding the poisoning] by his father, when it seems to be a way for him to make an excuse he’s not going to fight.” Hours after the report hit the web, Floyd Schofield Sr. presented proof on social media.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sharing a clip of ‘Kid Austin’ lying unconscious in a hospital bed, Schofield Sr. wrote, “As a parent I am overwhelmed. People can be cruel and evil. The comeback will be major. NO ONE DUCK a FIGHT WITH MR. PILLOW HANDS!!!” With Schofield officially pulling out of the fight, the question remains—will Stevenson still compete? And if so, against whom?

ADVERTISEMENT

Shakur Stevenson may fight a British opponent after Floyd Schofield pulled out

Shakur Stevenson may face Britain’s Josh Padley after Floyd Schofield withdrew from their WBC lightweight title fight, citing illness amid unverified poisoning claims. The bout was set to take place this weekend in Saudi Arabia, but Schofield’s sudden exit has left Stevenson needing a last-minute opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Padley, an unbeaten fighter with a 15–0 record, recently pulled off a shocking upset over Mark Chamberlain on the undercard of Anthony Joshua vs. Daniel Dubois. Now, he steps up for a massive challenge against one of boxing’s elite champions.

ADVERTISEMENT

This fight will feature on the undercard of a historic night, with Daniel Dubois defending his IBF heavyweight title against Joseph Parker. The event also includes Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol for the undisputed light-heavyweight crown, Joshua Buatsi vs. Callum Smith, and Zhilei Zhang vs. Agit Kabayel.

ADVERTISEMENT

That said, a heated debate is unfolding on social media over whether Schofield’s decision was a calculated move or an unfortunate turn of events. So far, there’s no concrete evidence suggesting that Schofield backed out due to fear or that Stevenson had any involvement in the alleged poisoning—but that could change as more details emerge. What’s your take on the situation?

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT