feature-image

Getty

feature-image

Getty

After hearing the result of his fight against Mexico’s Pedro Guevara, Andrew Moloney is adamant about never returning to the ring ever again. Moloney, fighting in the undercard of fellow Australian George Kambosos Jr was sure his performance was enough to tip the fight in his favor, but the official score card revealed two judges scored the fight 115-113 in Guevara’s favor, while the third thought Moloney did enough with 113-116. 

Watch What’s Trending Now!

However, the real twist in the story came from a clip recorded by promoter Tony Tolj from down under during Sunday’s fight at RAC Arena, Perth. As the tenth-round came to a close, Tolj’s clip showed judge Humberto Olivares, who scored in Guevara’s favor, copying his score from the master score cards, allegedly. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Moloney is done with corruption in boxing

While sharing the clip on X, Tolj captioned the clip, “Humberto Olivares, judge of Andrew Moloney looking at masterscore cards EVERY ROUND!!! [Something] has to change. How much more can we give[?]” Meanwhile, in pure disbelief of the result that lost him the interim WBC super flyweight title, Moloney didn’t hold back during the post fight interview. 

“I’m done with this sport,” Andrew Moloney said. “That’s the last you’ll see of me. I want to thank my sponsors. I’m retired, I’m out. I love you all, but sorry, f— that,” he continued. Even during the post fight press conference, Moloney said, “Honestly, I should say I’m shocked, but I’ve been here before in this sport. It’s [as] corrupt as anything… I’m done with this sport because it’s corrupt and I can’t do anything more than I already am, so I’m out.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Well, it’s safe to say the Australian isn’t happy about the results, even though Guevara had agreed to a rematch moments before. However, the anger wasn’t limited to Moloney. After witnessing the whole thing, fans came out with pitchforks to express their thoughts. 

Fan calls out Australian boxing commission 

While most of these cases often have two sides, with people making a case for either. However, that wasn’t the situation here. Nearly every comment on the clip was tearing down the disgraceful act from judge Olivares. One user blatantly labeled the entire fight a robbery against Moloney. According to CompuBox, Moloney landed more total punches than Guevara in eight rounds. 

Even the next user echoed the same sentiment, suggesting Olivares coping from the master score card is just wrong. Interestingly, even in terms of jabs landed, Andrew Moloney was far ahead of his opponent. 

Another user could not believe the sheer amount of corruption that’s involved in boxing. However, it’s worth noting that the Australian boxing commission has yet to officially address these allegations. 

The following user was absolutely defeated by the situation, as they suggested the situation is just disgraceful for the sport. However, the sad part is, such incidents aren’t rare in the sport. 

Someone else called out the Australian Boxing Commission, asking them how such a thing can happen under their supervision. Yet, only time will tell whether the commission decides to take action against the judge. 

By the look of things, Andrew Moloney is unlikely to ever fight again while the accused judge may continue his work in future fights. Nevertheless, nothing has been proven just yet, but what are your thoughts on the clip? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT