feature-image
feature-image

Jarrell Miller can’t seem to catch a break. His fight against Michael Hunter, scheduled for September 11 before the Canelo-Crawford fight, was canceled due to several issues. Initially, Hunter was locked into a mandatory eliminator against Kubrat Pulev, with Don King Promotions securing the purse bid. Despite this, a Miller-Hunter fight was announced as a non-title clash, leveraging the pair’s then-rankings as the #1 and #4 on the WBA rankings. 

Watch What’s Trending Now!

This didn’t sit well with King, who issued a cease-and-desist, citing a breach of Hunter’s exclusive contract. The NSAC further complicated matters, noting missing bout approvals; Hunter’s pending Nevada license, and Miller’s lack of VADA test results—scrutiny tied to his 2019 PED suspension. This prompted promoter Steve Bash to cancel the fight, citing “unresolved legal and regulatory issues.” Jarrell Miller, however, blamed Hunter’s team, threatening defamation lawsuits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jarrell Miller did what he said

After threatening defamation lawsuits, he took to Instagram earlier today to issue a ‘Public Notice & Legal Warning.’ “Once again, I must directly address ongoing misinformation and false claims regarding the cancellation of the fight with Michael Hunter,” the statement read. “I have seen both written statements and videos circulating that attempt to slander my name, misrepresent facts, or suggest unauthorized negotiations.”

The letter went on: “Any further false statements, defamation, slander, or libel directed at me or my professional career will result in immediate legal action. Myself and my legal team are fully prepared to pursue all violators to the fullest extent of the law. You are hereby on notice.” Miller also emphasized that no one is authorized to speak on his behalf, negotiate terms, or make deals in his name. 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

That is, except for Attorney Geoffrey Aaronson, Jason Jacobs, his manager Spencer Brown, and business advisor Everett. He closed with a clear warning: violators will “face swift legal consequences.” This leaves one question hanging—what exactly did Miller say about the lawsuit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Miller promised to start suing people after the Michael Hunter fight collapsed

Previously, Michael Hunter claimed Miller was the reason the bout didn’t happen, telling DAZN’s Chris Mannix, “We’ve been told by several different guys, the attorneys and promoters over there that ‘Big Baby’ had much bigger problems than Don King… we’ve already handled the Don King situation.” That didn’t sit well with Miller! ‘Big Baby’ insisted the fight was scrapped because of Hunter’s contractual obligations to King. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“We got the letter… it says that due to legal situations, they don’t want to go forward with the fight. Basically, the Don King situation,” said Miller. “Now he’s trying to say it’s because of VADA. Listen, at this point, I might just start doing what the white folks do and start suing people for defamation of character because that’s nowhere near the case.” Miller maintains he never turned down a fight and vows to clear his name.

The now-canceled fight between Jarrell Miller and Michael Hunter seems to have turned into a classic case of ‘he said, she said.’ Miller may have brought out the big guns, but whether the ‘Big Baby’ actually follows through remains to be seen. The bigger question is—who do you think is really responsible for the fight’s collapse?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,776 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Syed Rahil Ahmed

ADVERTISEMENT