feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

Everybody loves an underdog! However, more often than not, success eludes them because of frothy obstacles. Yet, Ryan Garcia overcame all of that to defy the odds by defeating his rival, Devin Haney, last Saturday. It, of course, left many in disbelief, including someone Garcia may face in the future, Isaac Cruz

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Cruz, of course, just had his own shockingly brilliant showing against Rolly Romero, a fight intertwined with Garcia’s by fate. Nevertheless, when Cruz was asked about his reaction to Garcia’s breakthrough victory in an interview with Spanish sports media channel, Fino Boxing, the ‘Pitbull’ gave a response resembling everyone else’s. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Cruz didn’t expect this from ‘King Ry’ Garcia

Speaking to the new WBA super lightweight champion, the reporter was quick with the Garcia question. In response, Cruz said, “Well, it was a fight that was very surprising.” Not just him, the 25-year-old thought even Haney was surprised during the fight with Garcia’s aggression. So, Cruz further added, “I didn’t expect to see Ryan Garcia going forward looking for the fight.”

article-image

Getty

Turning to Haney, Cruz suggested, “Haney was totally frustrated in some way to counteract Ryan’s power.” Cruz’s short but accurate analysis was especially evident from Haney’s non-existent legs throughout the fight. Adding the fact that ‘The Flash’ Garcia knocked down Haney thrice in the fight proves, that ‘The Dream’ was destined for doom. In the meantime, Garcia and Cruz may soon end up facing each other.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

‘Pitbull’ Cruz claims he is ready to fight Ryan Garcia

After defeating Haney, Garcia has a few names he would like to face in the ring. Michael Benson shared one of Garcia’s statements regarding the same on X. Garcia said he would be open to face Isaac Cruz, but would like to “step away from boxing for a little bit.” This didn’t take long to reach the WBA super lightweight champion.

So, after his press conference for the fight against Jose Valenzuela on August 3, Cruz told a flock of reporters, “Ryan Garcia doesn’t take things seriously. Even when he comes to the weigh-in, he’s [overweight] by three pounds…,” said Cruz. Turning to potentially fighting Garcia, Cruz said, “It’s not the first time. It’s a lot of times he’s said he wants to fight. I’m ready and I want to fight him.”

Garcia’s performance seems to have taken the WBA champion by surprise, but from his statements, it doesn’t seem like he was intimidated. On the contrary, if Isaac Cruz is serious about facing Garcia, there’s barely anything stopping that from happening. Would you like to see a Cruz vs. Garcia bout? Let us know in the comments. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT