feature-image

Getty

feature-image

Getty

All Dmitry Bivol wants is to unify his division and become undisputed! However, Eddie Hearn revealed why that’s never going to happen. The Russian boxer successfully defended his WBA Super light heavyweight title and captured the IBO light heavyweight title in the recent ‘Day of Reckoning’ fight card. Now, he is aiming for a fight against Artur Beterbiev

Watch What’s Trending Now!

The undefeated Russian-Candian boxer currently holds the IBF, WBC, and WBO light heavyweight titles that would help Bivol become undisputed. However, for the fight between Bivol and Beterbiev to happen, the latter has to win his January 13 fight against Callum Smith. Nevertheless, Callum Smith’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, sheds light on why the Bivol vs. Beterbiev fight would never happen today on X.

ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Hearn predicts Callum Smith vs. Artur Beterbiev

Callum Smith and Artur Beterbiev were supposed to face each other in August last year, but the fight fell through. Smith pulled out of the fight because he had to go through jaw surgery due to a bone infection. However, Hearn claims when Beterbiev meets Smith in Centre Videotron, Quebec City, on January 11, he will get knocked out by Smith. 

It will effectively end the chances of the Bivol vs. Beterbiev fight happening. “He won’t get sanctioned to challenge for the World Title coming off a Callum Smith KO defeat,” Hearn wrote in his tweet. The head of Matchroom Boxing turned to X to penn the message after the user tagged him on a tweet, asking him to green-light the Bivol vs. Beterbiev fight.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Bivol has given his prediction for Beterbiev’s upcoming fight.

Also Read: Dmitry Bivol Takes First Step to Make Artur Beterbiev Fight Happen

Dmitry Bivol predicts experience will win

In an interview with Boxing Social from two weeks ago, when pressed about a prediction for the Smith vs. Beterbiev fight, Bivol chose the latter for his experience and strength. “I am giving more credit to Beterbiev because he has more experience, and he is tough fighter,” said Bivol. However, it’s worth mentioning that Smith (29-1-0) has more fights under his belt compared to Beterbiev (19-0-0).

He later went on to analyze the fighting styles of both boxers, claiming that Beterbiev would have the upper hand. “Smith will give him to come close to him; he has long arms, but he usually closes distance. He doesn’t use his arms, and for Beterbiev, that is good,” Bivol told Boxing Social. However, what happens in the fight is yet to be seen. 

While Bivol looks to become undisputed, Matchroom honcho Hearn suggested Bivol will never get to fight Beterbiev.

Do you think Smith will KO Beterbiev? Who are you cheering for? 

Watch This Story: Terence Crawford, David Benavidez, Dmitry Bivol Rematch, and Other Potential Opponents for Canelo Alvarez

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Sameen Nawathe

ADVERTISEMENT