feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

More than a sport of action, boxing is also a game of chess! Yesterday’s tall and mighty king will inevitably yield to the cunning and quick bishop of today. In a similar situation, boxing sensation Gervonta Davis, who was once mentored and prompted by Floyd Mayweather, seems to have secured a bigger deal than Mayweather, the richest boxer in history, ever did. The former promoter-boxer duo has been embroiled in a feud on social media after Davis alleged Floyd took a sly dig at him while speaking about boxers opting to spend their money instead of investing it.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Amid a flurry of words and shade thrown back and forth, Davis’ appearance in Cigar Talk after his face-off against Frank Martin yesterday unraveled their feud while announcing the “bigger deal.” Speaking to Davis, Naji from Cigar Talk broached the feud with Mayweather, which prompted a profound response from the Baltimore native. “A lot of people don’t know what Floyd [does]… He was going at me and I knew for sure he was going at me. That’s why I went at him. There’s no reason for me to go at Floyd,” said Davis, referring to Mayweather’s initial comment that he thought was directed at him. 

ADVERTISEMENT

When Naji pointed out that over the years, Davis and Floyd’s dynamic seemed like a love-hate relationship, Davis completely denied it while claiming he had surpassed Floyd’s legacy. “I’m about at that point where I [have] passed him and I am doing it at a young age,” said Tank. However, Davis wasn’t done proving his point, as he elaborated, revealing a new deal he had signed. According to several reports, Mayweather’s deal with Showtime in 2013 was worth $200 million. 

article-image

Getty

“That deal I’m talking about. He [doesn’t] know about that yet. That’s bigger than his deal,” said the Lightweight champion. However, Davis did not reveal the amount of the mega-deal he signed with PBC. On the other hand, Floyd Mayweather bought his way out of Top Rank by paying them $750,000 to end the contract and went on to promote his own fights, raking in millions over the years. Some reports even suggest the five-division champion has made over a billion dollars throughout his career.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

That being said, the accusation Gervonta Davis made in his response to Mayweather’s alleged comments about him was backed by a boxing insider. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Finally, some relief for Floyd Mayweather 

Just the other day, Gervonta, in retaliation, suggested that Mayweather was, ironically, stuck in Dubai because of some unpaid dues in the country. 50 Cents had also expressed solidarity by offering to help out ‘Money’ if needed despite sharing a rocky history. While there was no official confirmation about the allegation at first, controversial boxing matchmaker Rick Glaser confirmed the same on X later. He wrote, “…@Gervontaa #TankDavis is correct that Floyd’s being held there!!!”

ADVERTISEMENT

However, a few days later, on May 3, Glaser shared an update on Mayweather’s situation, claiming he had been released by the Dubai authorities and that Mayweather was back in America. Glaser wrote, “#UAE released #FloydMayweather, as he’s paid up in Dubai, & he’s now back in America… I don’t think he’ll want to owe any money in the middle eastern countries ever again.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In a nutshell, after fighting under Mayweather’s banner in the past, Gervonta Davis seems to have secured a deal that would even make the richest boxer jealous. However, the details about Davis’ new deal haven’t come out yet. How much do you think Davis is making in his new deal? Is Mayweather’s status as the richest boxer under threat? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT