feature-image
feature-image

It may not have started as a big fight, but it sure has turned into one! Early March saw WBA lightweight champion Gervonta Davis lock horns with WBA super featherweight champion Lamont Roach Jr. What was supposed to be a walk in the park for the Baltimore native turned out to be his biggest test yet.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

To the shock of everyone, Roach Jr., who lost two fights to Davis in the amateurs, matched Davis punch for punch. In the end, the fight ended in a controversial majority decision draw, with some even suggesting Roach was robbed of a win due to the now-infamous knee incident during the ninth round of the fight. Regardless, an immediate rematch was all the talk among boxing fans, with Davis’ redemption hanging in the balance. Several reports had emerged suggesting a rematch could happen as soon as June 21st in Las Vegas. However, the latest details about the rematch suggest that might not be the case, as ‘Tank’ is forced to wait longer to exact his vengeance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier today, Abraham Gonzalez of Fights ATW reported that the date has been pushed back. “For those looking to make plans for #TankRoach2 on June 21 in Vegas that was spread around, don’t make them,” Gonzalez wrote. “[The] fight will not be in June, from what I’ve been told. This may already be out there, but [I] just wanted to post that update.”

This begs the question, why? According to boxing insider Rick Glaser, Premier Boxing Champions (PBC), both Davis and Roach’s promoter, is to blame for it, or more accurately, their financial situation. “PBC has that money shortage showing more & more,” Glaser wrote, responding to the rematch delay on X. 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

He added, “Another PBC postponement, & need we say possible cancelation!!! Let’s hope that this fight happens, it’s a dam good one!” It’s worth noting that Glaser has previously accused PBC of being in a whopping $900 million debt, which they are unable to pay. Nonetheless, while the fight is pushed to a later date, Davis’ rival has revealed the holes in his game that helped Roach Jr. nearly cause an upset.

ADVERTISEMENT

Shakur Stevenson claims there are holes in Gervonta Davis’ game

Shakur Stevenson has openly critiqued Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis, claiming there are weaknesses in the undefeated champion’s game. During an interview with YSM Sports Media on April 22, Stevenson shared his thoughts on the March 1 draw between Davis and Lamont Roach Jr. “I’m the type of fighter that I’ll adjust to whoever’s in front of me,” Stevenson said. “If Tank is in front of me, I’m going to adjust and do what I gotta do to make sure I come out victorious.”

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Turning his attention to the Davis-Roach Jr. fight, he claimed that he has been in the ring with Roach Jr, so he knows about Roach’s capability, noting, “it did exactly what I thought.” However, for Davis, Stevenson claimed he continues to see the same holes in his game. “It was the same Tank to me. He was fast, strong, O.K. defense. I ain’t see nothing different… I see holes all the time with him. But I didn’t see any different holes, is what I mean.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Having said that, it appears Gervonta Davis will have to wait longer for this much-awaited rematch against Lamont Roach Jr. With the latest update, it’s unclear when and where the rematch may end up happening. What are your thoughts on the matter? 

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,776 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT