feature-image

Getty

feature-image

Getty

Errol Spence Jr. is in a precarious spot, to say the least! The former world champion is expected to challenge Sebastian Fundora later this year, but doesn’t have a trainer as far as the eye can see. ‘The Truth’ separated from his career long trainer Derrick James earlier this year, after the duo sued each other. And now, Spence’s training partner and buddy Frank Martin has shed light on what’s up!

Watch What’s Trending Now!

On April 17, James filed a lawsuit against his former boxer Spence at Dallas County, Texas, for damages upwards of $5 million, which James believes he is owed while working in Spence’s corner. Here’s the kicker—the very same day, Spence also filed a counter lawsuit seeking declaratory relief. As Martin heads into a fight against Gervonta Davis on June 15, he appeared in an interview with Fight Hub TV where Spence and James’ relationship unraveled. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin reveals Errol Spence Jr. is trainer less

Speaking to Martin, the reporter probed him about who Spence was training with. In response, the undefeated boxer revealed, “I don’t really know fully what’s going on”, but Martin suggested Spence has been training with some people they are both acquainted with. When asked whether any of those people would be taking up the role of head coach, Martin was unsure.

article-image

Imago

“I couldn’t tell you. I don’t know what’s going on with that, no man”, said Martin. Moments later, the 18-0 boxer claimed the only thing he and Spence have done together is some cardio, other than that he doesn’t have a clue about what Spence is up to. Spence is coming off a devastating loss at the hands of Terence Crawford last year, which was the last fight Spence trained with Derrick for. 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Otherwise, the trainer and boxer duo have been together since Spence’s amateur days in Dallas, which led to Spence representing the USA in the 2012 Olympics. It was unclear who Spence was training with for the potential Fundora fight, but after Martin’s statement, things are clearer—Spence remains trainer-less! In the meantime, it’s important to understand what are the areas of contention between Spence and James!

Derrick James’ handshake deal and unpaid dues

According to a report from Mike Coppinger from ESPN, both parties agree that they have worked on a handshake agreement, which says James will receive 10% of the fighter’s purse. However, they disagree on the rest of the things James may be entitled to receive from his fighter. The former cruiserweight boxer claims he should be getting 10% of whatever Spence made for the fight, including PPV share, endorsement and others.

Here is the issue—the contract often shows just the guarantee purse to avoid higher sanctioning fees, while the fighter stands to make much more from a given fight. What’s more, James’ complaint shows a February text message where Spence had agreed to pay an additional $2,100,500 for the Terence Crawford fight. Yet James alleges he never received anything other than the original $350,000 from Spence.

Meanwhile, Errol Spence Jr. has claimed that James is entitled to just 10% of the amount mentioned in the contract and not his entire earnings. Yet, alongside the $2,100,500, James estimates he is owed $2,899,500 from Spence’s previous fights against Mikey Garcia, Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia and Yordenis Ugas.

With that said, it’s unlikely Derrick James and Errol Spence Jr. would be working together anytime soon. It raises several questions, including: Will Spence fight Fundora without a trainer if the fight happens? Or is he secretly working with someone else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT