feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

Conor Benn has indeed had a rough past year! He got banned from boxing with his license suspended because of illegal substances present in his system. Subsequently, the biggest fight of his career against Chris Eubank Jr. fell apart. Benn has been going through some rough times in his life. However, things are starting to look better for the British fighter as he made an exciting announcement regarding his career. 

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Back in October 2022, Benn was supposed to fight Eubank Jr., a fight billed as ‘Born Rivals.’ Things then fell apart after the whole drug fiasco with Benn. Following that incident, Benn has been fighting outside the ring to get his career back on track. Some rumors have been flying around about his return. But in a recent interview, Benn confirmed his comeback with a fight against Rodolfo Orozco. While it’s great news for Benn, he could not help but ponder upon his struggles in the past year. 

ADVERTISEMENT

A year full of setbacks for Conor Benn

While appearing in an interview, Benn reflected on the past year full of challenges. Benn claimed he feels stronger mentally right now. But he wondered why he had to go through all of that. Benn then claimed he did not ask to be in that situation. But life can make things complicated, and it’s up to the individual to deal with it. According to Benn, people may claim they could not have gone through what he went through. 

“You don’t know if you are strong enough. You know, at moments, I was weak. You know, even strong men break, even strong men fold,” Benn told Boxing Social. Benn then goes on to explain how he managed to stay strong in the past year. He said, “But it’s a matter of keep fighting, not quitting and keeping it moving.” 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Even though things are looking better for Benn right now, there are still some issues Benn has to deal with. The British Boxing Board of  Control and UKAD have appealed to reverse the decision by the National Anti-Doping Panel. However, that will happen later this year. NADP had previously allowed Benn to compete in fights. So, as of now, Benn has to focus on his next opponent – Rodolfo. Who is Rodolfo Orozco?

ADVERTISEMENT

Rodolfo Orozco, Benn’s next opponent

At long last, Conor will be back in the boxing ring in Orlando on Saturday Night, per a report from Sky Sports. Rumors have been floating around in the boxing community of him facing Eubank Jr. But, before that can happen, Benn intends to shake off all the cobwebs before facing off against Eubank Jr. The perfect way to do that for Benn is through a bout against Rodolfo Orozco.

article-image

Imago

Orozco, also known as ‘Sinaloita,’ is a Mexican boxer with a 32-3-3 record. His last fight was in June against Elian Trejo, where he came out victorious. He has not fought against any notable names, this fight being his first high-profile bout. While the match is supposed to be a warmup for Benn, if Orozco pulls off an upset, he can get a chance to fight bigger names in boxing. 

Also Read: “Really Bad for Boxing”: Conor Benn’s Fight Announcement Amid Ongoing Doping Test Fiasco Does Not Sit Well With the Fans

Despite having a rocky past year, Benn seems to be in a better place – mentally. However, only time will tell what happens in the square ring on Saturday. What are your thoughts on Benn’s return to boxing? 

Watch This Story: Conor Benn Was Contemplating His Suicide, Says His Wife Cried Thinking He Killed Himself After Not Picking Up Her Call Amid Doping Test Fiasco

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT