feature-image
feature-image

Guess what? Edgar Berlangas time with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing is almost up—but not without some drama! As his contract nears its end, tensions have flared, and let’s be real, Hearn isn’t exactly known for biting his tongue when he’s got something to say. So, in classic Hearn fashion, Edgar Berlanga just got hit with a dose of his signature blunt criticism.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

You see, previously, Hearn had revealed that as per Matchroom and Berlanga’s contract, ‘The Chosen One’ was supposed to have a tune-up fight on an undercard had he lost to Canelo. And ‘Cinnamon’ obviously won that fight, meaning Berlanga would appear in a small fight to get his resume back in the green. However, according to Hearn, after the Canelo loss, Berlanga wanted to fight IBF super middleweight champion William Scull.

ADVERTISEMENT

This fight fell apart because Berlanga wanted $1.5 million, while Scull demanded $3 million, per Hearn. But according to The Boxing Voice, Berlanga says his upcoming fight against Jonathan Gonzalez-Ortiz is on the Austin Williams vs. Patrice Volny undercard because it’s his last bout with Matchroom—he’s opting for free agency. This seems to have forced Hearn to retaliate against the 27-year-old with a truth bomb.

article-image

Imago

“The reason this fight happened is because it was written in his contract in the Canelo fight,” Hearn told The Boxing Voice. “Absolutely, I’m not going to put a load more money into a show when it’s the last fight of a deal.” When the reporter pressed Hearn, asking why Berlanga didn’t understand it, Hearn responded, “He doesn’t understand the business. That’s the reality.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

This came out ahead of Berlanga’s final weigh-in for the Gonzalez-Ortiz fight, where the Brooklyn-born boxer came in 1.6 pounds heavier than the stipulated 168-pound weight limit. This means he is not eligible for the WBO NABO super middleweight title up for grabs in the fight. Should Berlanga win, the title will become vacant.

ADVERTISEMENT

During an interview after the weigh-in, Berlanga claimed he had the “flu,” which forced him to stop cutting weight. However, the fight will still unfold on Saturday night at the Caribe Royale in Orlando, Florida. Meanwhile, whether Berlanga likes his spot on the undercard of Williams vs. Volny or not, he has shared a verdict on his upcoming fight.

Edgar Berlanga claims he is not overlooking Gonzalez-Ortiz, but…

 Edgar Berlanga insists he isn’t overlooking Jonathan Gonzalez-Ortiz ahead of their fight, despite being a heavy favorite. The brash super middleweight contender, who sported a ninja mask at Thursday’s press conference, dismissed the idea of an upset. “This is something light here, man,” Berlanga said. “You know, I don’t overlook no opponent, but this is a cakewalk for me.”

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Imago

Having already suffered the first career loss to Canelo, Berlanga hopes to land a fight against Jaime Munguia, Caleb Plant, or Jermall Charlo after his upcoming fight. “These are the type of fights I wanna make in New York,” he said. “I’m big New York.” Meanwhile, a beef with Caleb Plant in recent days suggests a fight between them could be on the horizon.

ADVERTISEMENT

That said, Edgar Berlanga seems to be parting ways with Matchroom Boxing after a small fight in Florida and a brief feud. But the real question is—should Eddie Hearn have granted Berlanga a main event slot, even though their contract didn’t require him to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT