feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

Ryan Garcia isn’t about to back down from defending himself against the PED accusations. After testing positive for Ostarine one day before and on the day of the fight against Devin Haney last month, the Victorville native has yet again highlighted the Victor Conte angle. However, this time, the man who ‘The Dream’ Haney once praised for being instrumental in his success has inadvertently defended ‘The Flash’ Garcia. 

Watch What’s Trending Now!

So, the thing is, all the way back in 2019, Haney seems to have partnered with Conte led Snack Nutrition, a sport supplement brand. And in doing so, ‘The Dream’ praised the former convict, accused of a steroid distribution scheme. However, Ryan Garcia shared one of Conte’s interviews with Seconds Out from 2015, where the founder of BALCO laboratories was speaking about tests conducted before and on the day of the fight and how it’s useless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Garcia thanks Victor Conte

Following the adverse findings in Garcia’s system, he had highlighted Conte and Haney’s relations, or more importantly, Conte and VADA’s relations, implying the positive tests were drummed up by the Haney corner in collaboration with Conte. Yet, in a tweet today, Garcia wrote, “Thank you Victor Conte, LMAO,” while sharing Conte’s old clip.

Meanwhile, in the clip Conte can be heard saying, “I don’t know what the purpose of testing somebody 48 hours before a fight is. Or you know, other than the recreational drugs and stimulants. These athletes aren’t dumb enough to be taking stuff on fight night.” While Garcia continues to deny PED allegations, as Conte said, ‘King Ry’ had publicly acknowledged his recreational drug use on the day of the fight. 

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

While appearing in an interview with Fully Titled, Ryan Garcia had said, “If I was on steroids, I would have been in way better shape. I was literally drinking every day, smoking we*d – I did not stop, not even until the f****ng day of the fight. I got in there high as f***, and I beat his a**.” So, considering all this, Conte looks pretty guilty! However, he and Devin have continued their crusade against Garcia’s misinformation. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Conte and Haney simultaneously claim Garcia was 60 times over allowed limit

After Garcia’s tweet went live today, Devin Haney responded to a fan, who had highlighted NYSAC’s rule that says levels of Ostarine below 0.1 ng/ml are not abnormal. Haney wrote, “No no… he tested 6 NG. & .35 the weigh in day he was 60 times over the limit the day of the weigh in.” As per Conte’s old interview, these should be meaningless, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

However, coincidentally, Conte tweeted hours later, saying, “IMO @RyanGarcia continues to spew misinformation. On 4/19 Ryan’s Ostarine level in urine was 6 ng/ml. The NYSAC allowable limit is .1 ng/ml. It seems that Ryan’s level is 60 TIMES the allowable limit. I believe his B sample will also be POSITIVE.”

ADVERTISEMENT

It’s worth mentioning that amid this Ryan Garcia doping test fiasco, NYSAC head Kim Sumbler, who worked in the organization for eight years, has resigned from her post, highlighting family reasons. This update also came under scrutiny since Garcia is awaiting B-Sample results on May 22, where the NYSAC would dictate whether Garcia gets suspended and fined or cleared. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Having said that, things indeed seem a little suspicious, to say the least. However, it’s vital to remember nothing has been proven yet, not Conte’s involvement, nor Garcia’s positive doping test results. However, what are your thoughts about this situation? Do you think Conte is guilty? Or do you think Ryan Garcia is the culprit? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT