feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

David Benavidez isn’t about to back down—he is adamant about getting what he wants! What does he want? Well, ‘The Mexican Monster’ wants nothing short of a glorious showdown against undisputed super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez. However, the Mexican superstar has time and time again denied Benavidez’s wish!

Watch What’s Trending Now!

At first, ‘Cinnamon’ discarded the idea of a fight against Benavidez, suggesting it’s not a challenge enough. More recently, the boxing legend has demanded $200 million to finally give Benavidez what he wants, but no such offers have been made yet. Meanwhile, during his appearance in the Million Dollaz Worth Of Game podcast, Benavidez tried his best to explain the intentions behind Canelo demanding such a huge amount. Spoiler alert: Benavidez thinks it’s Canelo’s retirement plan!

ADVERTISEMENT

David Benavidez promises to dethrone Canelo Alvarez

Speaking to the WBC interim super middleweight champion, rapper and actor Gillie Da Kid brought up Canelo’s $200 million demand, highlighting he has never done that for any other fighter throughout his decorated career while asking Benavidez about his thoughts on it. And boy did Benavidez have something to say about it, as he let open the floodgates. 

In response, Benavidez erupted by stating, “[Because] he knows damn well, that’s his retirement plan”. The Phoenix, Arizona native feels Canelo has a plan! What’s that? Well, Benavidez thinks Canelo is picking all the easy fights for now, and is saving him for the last for a big money showdown before he retires. As to why Canelo would do that, Benavidez seems to have an answer for that as well!

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Getty

He added, “He knows damn well, I’m the strongest, I’m the fastest and I’m the best at this weight class. If it wasn’t for him, not fighting me I’d have been champion already”. Benavidez was really laying it out there, mentioning how he went toe-to-toe with Dmitry Bivol, the guy who took down Canelo Alvarez back in May 2022. He straight up said, “They know how hard I hit, they know I’m not coming to play”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Well, here’s the thing: no matter what Canelo and his crew yap about or demand for the bout, Benavidez claims he is  the cream of the crop in the super middleweight scene and “I will be the one to dethrone Canelo”. While Benavidez’s Canelo fight dream hangs in the balance, he is supposed to face Ukraine’s Oleksandr Gvozdyk at 175-pounds on June 15. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Terence Crawford on Canelo vs. Benavidez

Ever since his victory against Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford has been crystal clear about his aim to step into the ring with Canelo Alvarez. And guess what? Things seem to be shaping up nicely for that showdown, with His Excellency Turki Alalshikh leaving no stone unturned to make it a reality. But, hey, no official confirmation just yet. Regardless, after Benavidez defeated Demetrius Andrade last year, Crawford shared his thoughts about Canelo vs. Benavidez.

article-image

Imago

Speaking to Fight Hype after the fight, ‘Bud’ Crawford said, “He’s just got to tighten up a little bit on his defence, but other than that, he good. He ready for Canelo”. ‘Bud’ further added that the fight could go either way, but the fight needs to happen because both parties are the best in the division. While that fight doesn’t look close to reality, Crawford is about to face Israil Madrimov on August 3 in Los Angeles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Is Canelo Alvarez planning to retire after eventually facing David Benavidez as his last fight? Maybe, nobody can tell, but one has to wonder, given Canelo’s accomplishments in the sport, doesn’t he deserve the deal he wants to face another best in his division, a fight that has the potential to make several millions not just for the fighters, but also for the people involved. What do you think?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT