feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

He can run, but he can’t hide from his fate! Conor Benn has been, yet again, provisionally suspended after UK Anti-Doping and BBBofC won their appeal against the National Anti-Doping Panel’s decision to clear Benn last year. All the way back during October 2022, Benn was supposed to face off against generational rival Chris Eubank Jr. but things quickly went south! 

Watch What’s Trending Now!

After testing positive for banned drug clomiphene twice before the fight, the fight itself was shelved alongside Benn’s boxing career. The independent NADP panel had lifted the suspension temporarily, which allowed Benn to improve his record to 23-0. However, Benn is back in hot waters as talkSport editor Michael Benson shared an update about Benn’s suspension on social media today! 

ADVERTISEMENT

Hours earlier, Benson wrote, “Conor Benn has now once again been provisionally suspended by UKAD after UKAD and the BBBofC won their appeal against the NADP’s decision to lift his suspension following his two positive drugs tests in 2022.” In the meantime, there have been no comments from either Benn or his promoter Matchroom Boxing regarding the subject! 

Regardless, Benson further wrote, “Benn’s case will now progress in accordance with the UKAD rules.” Previously, when the UKAD and BBBofC had appealed against NADP’s decision, Benn had said, “I’m disappointed at the news of an appeal being made, having already been cleared by both the WBC and the National Anti-Doping Panel to continue my career without any restriction.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Friday, BBBofC’s official X account released an official statement from Robert W Smith regarding Benn’s reinstated suspension. He wrote, “The BBBofC can confirm that Conor Benn is subject to a provisional suspension prohibiting him from participating in any capacity (or assisting another athlete in any capacity) in a competition, event or activity that is organised, convened, authorised or recognised by the BBBofC or any other World Anti-Doping Code-compliant sport.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He further added, “UKAD and the BBBoC were successful in their respective appeals of a decision handed down by a tribunal of the independent National Anti-Doping Panel in July 2023 and Mr Benn’s provisional suspension was reimposed by the appeal tribunal following those successful appeals.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Conor Benn loses out on the biggest fight! 

Despite his best efforts, things aren’t looking good for the undefeated boxer. Not long ago, Benn even lost out on the biggest fight of his career against Manny Pacquiao! As per a tweet from Benson, “Manny Pacquiao’s MP Promotions rep Sean Gibbons has revealed that the Conor Benn fight was close to done before the BBBofC and UKAD won their appeal.”

The pair had originally met in Saudi Arabia during the Anthony Joshua vs. Francis Ngannou weigh-ins. ‘Pac-Man’ was even adamant about leaving the land of the sand with a signed contract. However, like Ngannou’s dream to become a boxer, Pacquiao’s desire to return to the ring against Benn shattered after the UKAD won their appeal. 

ADVERTISEMENT

With that said, there’s a good possibility of Conor Benn never entering the ring again in the near future, at best. At worst, things could look much more grim, and the boxer has to face suspension spanning several years, which is more often than not extremely hard to come back from. What do you think is in store for the Londoner? Is he ever coming back? Or is it adios for the undefeated talent? 

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Snigdhaa Jaiswal

ADVERTISEMENT