feature-image
feature-image

The two fights between Artur Beterbiev and Dmitry Bivol will be studied for years to come! Each fight was decided by razor-thin margins, with subtle moments shifting the tide. Only the sharpest observers could catch those split-second turning points. Now, Beterbiev’s trainer, John Scully, has revealed the single mistake that cost his fighter the victory.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Bivol, of course, edged out ‘The Rabbit’ in their rematch last weekend in Riyadh, capturing the undisputed light heavyweight title and avenging his previous loss. However, given how razor-close the fight was, many have been left wondering—at what moment did the tide truly begin to turn in Bivol’s favor?

ADVERTISEMENT

While appearing in an interview with Pro Boxing Fans a day after the bout, Scully shared his perspective on Beterbiev’s mistake. “We felt like we needed to start a little quicker,” Scully said in the interview. “Because last time we had a great finish but a lot of people thought it wasn’t enough. So, we wanted to start a little quicker.”

article-image

Imago

He also claimed that he felt the plan was working perfectly until Beterbiev’s one mistake changed things. “At one point, maybe the seventh round give or take, I thought Artur took a round off and Dmitry got back in and I think his confidence went up at that point, and the fight kind of changed for several rounds,” he told the reporter.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Artur Beterbiev has broken his silence since his first career loss to Dmitry Bivol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Artur Beterbiev sends a clear message following the Dmitry Bivol loss

Artur Beterbiev has broken his silence following his majority decision loss to Dmitry Bivol in their February 22 rematch for the undisputed light-heavyweight championship in Riyadh. The hard-hitting Russian suffered his first professional defeat in a close contest, with the judges scoring it 114-114, 116-112, and 115-113 in Bivol’s favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Beterbiev made it clear he wasn’t backing down, signaling his desire for a trilogy fight by holding up three fingers to Bivol in the ring. A day later, he addressed the loss on Instagram, writing, “It was a good fight with a strong opponent. I thank everyone who supported me all the way. But sport is sport. We will definitely come back even stronger.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With the series now tied at 1-1, the stage is set for a third fight to determine the true king of the division. The boxing world eagerly awaits Beterbiev’s next move. But the question is, do you agree with Coach Scully’s analysis?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT