feature-image
feature-image

Super middleweight king Canelo Alvarez is at the tail end of his career, and fans have big hopes for the Mexican to deliver some great fights. While Canelo is slated to fight Terence Crawford on 13th September, he is currently on a collision course with William Scull in May. And Oscar De La Hoya seems to have some issues with that fight.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

If you didn’t know, Canelo used to fight under the Golden Boy Promotions banner some years ago. However, after suing each other regarding their contract, the pair went their separate ways. Despite their separation, the cracks in their strained relationship still remain. Across podcasts and interviews, both parties never miss an opportunity to take digs at each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Regardless, with Canelo signing a four-fight deal with the Saudi Boxing Chief Turki Al-Sheikh to fight Scull and Crawford, Oscar has a lot of opinions to convey. While appearing in an interview with Fight Hub TV recently, Oscar was pressed about his thoughts on the Scull fight, to which he revealed Canelo may regret his decision.

“I keep going like this. Scratching my head,” Oscar said while answering the question. “What are you doing? That’s all I do all night. Canelo what are you doing? See people wanna see the big fights. They wanna see Benavidez.” Oscar emphasized that Canelo is on his way out of the sport, so he should give the fans what they really want to see.

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

“10-15 years from now, are we gonna say, ‘You ducked Benavidez or you give us the big fights with Benavidez?’” he added, suggesting Canelo may regret his decision to fight Scull instead of someone like Benavidez. Meanwhile, Benavidez seems to have a plan to make the Canelo fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

David Benavidez’s plan to lure Canelo Alvarez into the ring

David Benavidez has spent years chasing a fight with Canelo Alvarez, but the Mexican superstar has refused, even demanding $150 million to consider it. Now, Benavidez has a new strategy—become the undisputed light heavyweight champion to force Canelo’s hand. “The only way I see this fight happening is me winning all the belts at light heavyweight,” Benavidez said on Nightcap with Shannon Sharpe and Chad Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Imago

Currently the interim WBC light heavyweight champion, Benavidez defeated David Morrell on February 1. It’s a win that has positioned him one step closer to becoming the undisputed light heavyweight champion. And clearly Benavidez is betting a lot on it. “This would make the fight a hundred times bigger,” Benavidez added.

That said, Oscar De La Hoya doesn’t seem to approve of Canelo Alvarez fighting William Scull. Meanwhile, a showdown with David Benavidez feels out of reach for now—but Benavidez’s bold plan might just turn it into reality. What’s your take?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Siddharth Shirwadkar

ADVERTISEMENT