feature-image
feature-image

The boxing world was up in arms after the racist incident involving Keyshawn Davis unfolded a few days ago. Now, ‘The Businessman’ has revealed a personal text message he received from NBA legend Shaquille O’Neal, supporting him after the ordeal. But the question is, what exactly happened?

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Before the fight on Friday night, Davis received a package in his hotel room, containing bananas and watermelon. It was a clear dig at Davis’ culture with a severe racist undertone. Davis shared the incident on social media, suspecting Denys Berinchyk and his team had a hand behind the package.

ADVERTISEMENT

The pair even got into a heated exchange because of it during the final face-off of the fight. However, later Teofimo Lopez shared a short clip reacting to the entire ordeal while eating a banana and laughing at Davis’ misfortune. This led many to believe that Lopez, with whom Davis has had a long-standing beef, was the real culprit.

article-image

Imago

Regardless, appearing in a self-made video, the 25-year-old revealed that O’Neal came to his support via text message following the incident. “Shaquille O’Neal even dm’ed me no s**t,” Davis said in the video. “Y’all think I’m playing. I gotta show y’all. He said… break his motherf***ing jaw homie.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Don’t even worry about it. I [will] break his jaw… I don’t even want to knock him out in the first round [anymore]. I want to beat on him… Just keep beating on him each round. He won’t want to come back out the corner,” Davis added. While Davis might not have been able to break Berinchyk’s jaw, he won the fight via a dominant 4th round knockout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Regardless, now Davis wants the smoke with all the champions in his division. 

Keyshawn Davis demands fight contracts

Keyshawn Davis wasted no time calling out his rivals after his dominant fourth-round stoppage of Denys Berinchyk to claim the WBO lightweight title. The 25-year-old, now an unbeaten world champion, has set his sights on WBA champion Gervonta Davis and IBF titleholder Vasyl Lomachenko.

ADVERTISEMENT

article-image

Getty

“Man, it was an amazing feeling [to win],” Davis said after the fight. “I’ll fight anybody that has the balls to step in the ring with me.” Davis made it clear he is ready to face the best in the division. “There are two 135-pound champions that I would love to fight. If they have the guts to step in the ring, tell them to send me a contract, or I’ll send them one.”

ADVERTISEMENT

It appears that even though the culprit behind the racist package hasn’t been caught as of yet, Keyshawn Davis has earned support from Shaquille O’Neal. Who do you think was behind the incident? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT