feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

Unified super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez is scheduled to fight former undisputed welterweight champion Terence Crawford in September. This leaves Canelo’s Cinco De Mayo fight date wide open for the taking. Meanwhile, some reports have emerged that ‘Cinnamon’ is in talks with YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul to fight in May.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

However, there’s no solid evidence that this fight is real, something even fans seem to think is the case. Amid all this, boxing commentator Wade Plemons has joined the conversation to share his two cents on the matter. “I thought if this was ever going to happen it would be YEARS from now,” he wrote on X reacting to the update.

ADVERTISEMENT

“But in 3 months, while Canelo is still a sitting Champ… If this is real it’s the last thing anyone would expect right now,” he added. However, what he wrote next shattered the illusion among fans that the fight wasn’t real. “I don’t know one way or another. But there are too many respected journos and analysts talking for this to just be nothing,” Plemons wrote.

“Could be a bad source or a purposeful bait, but this isn’t something reporters just make up,” he added. The rumors about the Canelo vs. Paul fight initially broke when Mexican journalist Julianis Julius mentioned it in a tweet. “There is already an agreement for Jake Paul to be Canelo Álvarez’s rival in May of this year, a source very close to the operation informs me.”

Get the EssentiallySports Daily Newsletter. Stay ahead of the game with daily updates, exclusive stories, expert takes, and the biggest moments from the world's most popular sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

If the report were completely fake, as Plemons mentioned, journalists wouldn’t take it seriously. Ariel Helwani doesn’t seem to oppose the rumored fight in May.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ariel Helwani on potential Canelo Alvarez vs. Jake Paul fight

During a February 4 episode of The Ariel Helwani Show, the MMA journalist took the report at its face value. While Helwani did not confirm whether he believes the report is legitimate or not, he certainly didn’t bring up the possibility that the reports could be fake, or as Plemons mentioned, a purposeful bait.

ADVERTISEMENT

This could mean that there’s some level of validity behind the report, and fans could see Canelo Alvarez participate in two blockbuster fights in 2025. “There are some reports now coming out that Canelo [vs.] Jake Paul is a thing in May, as well. Which, by the way, what a freaking year for Canelo Alvarez, holy s***. Those are two gigantic paydays… these are two massive things,” Helwani said.

That said, while a fight between Canelo Alvarez and Jake Paul may seem like a fantasy, the reports and reactions from experts suggest there could be some truth to it. Only time will tell if this matchup becomes a reality. Until then, share your thoughts on the possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Sudeep Sinha

4,781 Articles

Sudeep Sinha is a Golf Writer at EssentiallySports, covering the PGA Tour, LIV Golf, and the storylines around the sport's biggest events and names. He previously spent over two years writing in the Boxing department, where his fight-night coverage was featured on Sports Illustrated, Daily Mail, and Yahoo Sports, including his reporting on Ryan Garcia's career arc. On the golf beat, Sudeep covers tour news, player form, and the season-long storylines that shape the men's and women's game, from majors to the ongoing shifts in how professional golf is structured. That same appetite for detail that made his boxing coverage stand out now shows up in how he breaks down a swing change or a schedule shakeup for hardcore and casual fans alike. Outside work, he splits his time between reading, cycling, and following combat sports.

Know more

Edited by

editor-image

Gokul Pillai

ADVERTISEMENT